alt text goes here

Derived from the Census questions:

'Does this household pay rent to an owner (or to their agent for this dwelling)?' and 'How much rent does this household pay to the owner (or agent) for this dwelling?'

New Zealand
Housing rental payments

Rental data is directly related to the value of residential property. When viewed with household income data it may be indicative of the level of housing stress households in the community are under.

To enable a comparison of weekly housing rental repayments over time, housing rental quartiles have been calculated and presented in Housing Rental Quartiles.

The data in these household tables is the number of individuals whose household rental lies in the range given. Household data excludes people temporarily absent from their usual residence on census night.

Weekly housing rental payments
New Zealand - Rohe2013
Rental paymentsNumber of Māori within New Zealand% of Māori within New ZealandNew Zealand Total population %
Under $502,3790.80.9
$50 to $9926,3408.57.4
$100 to $14926,4128.57.9
$150 to $19929,0949.49.1
$200 to $24939,02712.611.7
$250 to $29950,09416.214.3
$300 to $34945,99914.814.1
$350 to $39933,04210.711.2
$400 to $44916,9025.56.7
$450 to $49910,3143.34.5
$500 and over16,7105.48.5
Not elsewhere included13,7584.43.7

Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings 2013.

Weekly housing rental payments, 2013
Weekly housing rental payments, 2013 $500 and over, New Zealand Total population: 8.5% $450 to $499, New Zealand Total population: 4.5% $400 to $449, New Zealand Total population: 6.7% $350 to $399, New Zealand Total population: 11.2% $300 to $349, New Zealand Total population: 14.1% $250 to $299, New Zealand Total population: 14.3% $200 to $249, New Zealand Total population: 11.7% $150 to $199, New Zealand Total population: 9.1% $100 to $149, New Zealand Total population: 7.9% $50 to $99, New Zealand Total population: 7.4% Under $50, New Zealand Total population: 0.9% $500 and over, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 5.4% $450 to $499, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 3.3% $400 to $449, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 5.5% $350 to $399, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 10.7% $300 to $349, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 14.8% $250 to $299, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 16.2% $200 to $249, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 12.6% $150 to $199, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 9.4% $100 to $149, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 8.5% $50 to $99, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 8.5% Under $50, Rohe - New Zealand Māori population: 0.8%
Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings, 2013.

Dominant groups

The major differences between the weekly housing rental repayments of the Māori population in New Zealand Rohe and the New Zealand Total population were:

  • A larger percentage of people in households paying $250 to $299 (16.2% compared to 14.3%)
  • A smaller percentage of people in households paying $500 and over (5.4% compared to 8.5%)
  • A smaller percentage of people in households paying $400 to $449 (5.5% compared to 6.7%)
  • A smaller percentage of people in households paying $450 to $499 (3.3% compared to 4.5%)