Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Occupation of employment
Occupation statistics identify the occupations in which the Māori population works. This will be influenced by the skill base, socio-economic status and aspirations of the population as well as the employment opportunities available.
|Occupation of employment|
|New Zealand - Rohe||2013||2006||Change|
|Occupations||Number of Māori within New Zealand||% of Māori within New Zealand||New Zealand Total population %||Number of Māori within New Zealand||% of Māori within New Zealand||New Zealand Total population %||2006 to 2013|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||28,446||10.8||11.4||31,863||11.8||12.2||-3,417||3003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||28,215||10.7||8.5||26,679||9.9||7.9||+1,536||3004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||27,699||10.5||11.4||29,394||10.9||12.1||-1,695||3005|
|Machinery Operators and Drivers||20,463||7.8||5.2||24,159||8.9||5.8||-3,696||3007|
|Not Elsewhere Included||15,243||5.8||5.0||17,811||6.6||5.7||-2,568||3009|
|Total employed population||263,184||100.0||100.0||270,489||100.0||100.0||-7,305|
Source: Statistics New Zealand, Census of Population and Dwellings (opens a new window) 2006 and 2013.
The major differences between the occupations held by the Māori population in New Zealand Rohe and the New Zealand Total population were:
- A larger percentage of people employed as Labourers (16.9% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of people employed as Machinery Operators and Drivers (7.8% compared to 5.2%)
- A smaller percentage of people employed as Professionals (15.7% compared to 21.3%)
- A smaller percentage of people employed as Managers (13.5% compared to 17.8%)
The largest changes in the occupations held by the Māori population in New Zealand Rohe between 2006 and 2013 were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+5,232 people)
- Labourers (-4,197 people)
- Machinery Operators and Drivers (-3,696 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-3,417 people)